Top 10 - Strangest Shin Megami Tensei Designs
Day 5 - Ubu
A spider-monster that appears on Sado Island of the Niigata prefecture. It appears while making noises like a baby’s cry. Dead or abandoned babies sometimes transform into an Ubu. They grab onto passerby and kill them. If one grasps your leg, take off a shoe, throw it over your shoulder and yell, “This is your mother,” and it will disappear.
Here, have a demon-spider-baby. No, I insist. Really.
Admittedly, Ubu’s interpretation is incredibly faithful to its origin story so there’s not a lot of room to talk about design choices.
The creature itself, Ubu, is one that speaks to a few primal fears in humans, I feel; perhaps a fear of losing a newborn, fear of spiders, fear of regret. The last one relates more to the cause of Ubu’s existence, rather than Ubu itself - in that the parents may regret having brought their child into the world. In other words, I find the premise for Ubu sounds like an older Japanese idea of trying to reinforce familial commitment.
Still - it’s a demon-spider-baby. Ubu’s one of the strangest demon designs I’ve seen, and that’s due to its surprisingly horrific myth.
25 Notes/ Hide
- sixlegs likes this
- necrowithglasses likes this
- will-of-asherah reblogged this from thighhighsarelove
- roguepersona reblogged this from grandtheftchocobo
- grandtheftchocobo reblogged this from arkiarus
- arkiarus reblogged this from aolady and added:
- arkiarus likes this
- asktheharbingerofdoom likes this
- personathreemoved likes this
- tempestslash likes this
- corneliusalba reblogged this from bufudyne
- bufudyne reblogged this from thighhighsarelove
- historyclasses likes this
- candy-overlord likes this
- gun-tea likes this
- terraterracotta likes this
- aolady reblogged this from restart-kun and added:
- restart-kun reblogged this from thighhighsarelove
- restart-kun likes this
- dudeunderscore likes this
- incubuscrossing likes this
- psyobohn likes this
- telirix likes this
- luxordius likes this
- internetgangstar likes this
- thighhighsarelove posted this